7 Mar 2008

Whaling activist shot by Japanese coastguards

Japanese coastguards throw flash grenades at Sea Shepherd anti-whaling ship the Steve Irwin

Japanese coastguards throw flash grenades at Sea Shepherd anti-whaling ship the Steve Irwin. Photograph: Reuters

The leader of an anti-whaling environmental group today claimed he had been shot by Japanese coast guard officers while on his boat in the southern ocean and had only survived because he was wearing a protective vest.

Paul Watson, the marine conservation group's leader, claimed a bullet struck him above the heart and that he had video footage of the ship's doctor, David Page, removing it from his protective vest.

Two others were injured, the group, Sea Shepherd, said. One injured his hip as he tried to dodge incoming "flash grenades", and another received bruises to the back when one of the grenades exploded behind him.

"I felt this impact on my chest," Watson told Australian radio. "I found a bullet buried in the Kevlar vest that I wear. It bruised my shoulder but it would have hit my heart if I didn't have the vest."

Whaling activist claims he was shot by Japanese coastguards | guardian.co.uk

More information on Sea Shepherd Conservation Society: Operation Migaloo: Antarctic Whale Defense Campaign 2007-08